" Comfort food isn't so much the junk that we crave as much as it is the need to heal your wounds, mend your soul and just feel everything that there is to feel. And sometimes it takes a [specific] ingredient to do that . . . " ~Shelley Chapman
Black Bean Chili and Coconut Corn Bread
A quick one pot chili that can be served for lunch or dinner.
Author: Shelley Chapman
Cuisine: American, Vegetarian
- 1.5 cups tomatoes, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 3 TB fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt, to taste
- cumin, to taste
- 1 Adobo Sazon Packet
- Chili seasoning, to taste
- For Corn Bread
- ½ cob fresh corn, kernels cut
- ⅓ cup gluten free AP flour
- ⅓ cup + 1 TB corn meal
- 2 TB dried coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 1 egg
- 1 TB coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TB coconut milk or enough to moisten mixture
- Heat 2 TB of oil in a small sauce pot
- Add onion and seasonings and cook until seasoning is fragrant and onions are slightly cooked.
- Add the tomatoes and garlic and cover with lid
- Once the tomatoes have reduced, lower flame and add black beans.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes and then turn off fire and mix in cilantro.
- Spoon into bowls and serve with following Coconut Corn Bread recipe
- Mix dry ingredients for corn bread in larger bowl with corn kernels
- Beat eggs and melted coconut oil together
- Add wet to dry. If too dry, add a little bit of coconut milk until batter is thick enough to spoon into a skillet
- Heat cast iron skillet and grease with coconut oil
- Drop by spoonfuls into heated skillet and fry on both sides until golden brown. About 2 minutes per side.