Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Sugar Free Carrot Cake
A healthier alternative to using white flour, white refined sugar and butter.
Author: Shelley Chapman
Recipe type: Dessert
- 6 oz. non-dairy butter (I use Earth Balance Coconut Spread)
- 3oz. coconut sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 oz. gluten free all purpose flour (I use Trader Joe's brand)
- 1 tsp baking powder (I use aluminum free baking powder)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (I use pumpkin spice)
- 4 oz. ground almonds
- 4 oz. carrots, shredded
- 3 oz. raisins
- 3 oz. no-soak, dried apricots (I used unsulphured)
- 2 oz. chopped nuts (I used almonds)
- Cashew "Cream Cheese" Frosting
- ½ cup cashews, soaked in water for minimum of 4 hours or overnight
- ½ lemon, juiced
- maple syrup, to sweeten
- salt, to taste
- Using a blender, food processor or stick blender process cashews, lemon and maple syrup until creamy. Taste as you go along to ensure it meets your satisfaction. You may have to stop blender or food processor to scrape sides of container. Once desired creaminess is achieved, sprinkle a little bit of salt to enhance flavor.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil and line a shallow 10x8 inch or 2 small round 6 inch baking pans with non-stick parchment paper
- Cream the non-dairy butter and coconut sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in eggs and add a little flour after each addition.
- Add all the remaining ingredients in order listed while the mixer continues to mix.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the mixture is cooked and a skewer inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool. Remove from tin and frost and decorate.